L is for Laurie

29 comments
Early in June this year my 7th daughter (and 2nd to youngest) Laurie graduated from high school. With ropes no less (is that what they call those?) Yayy. I know, it is August and I'm finally showing graduation pictures. But there is a reason for this.
I love this photo of Laurie mostly because it is one of the only times I've seen her in heels. See that basketball in the background? That is much more descriptive of Laurie's personality than those heels.
Laurie is one of those great kids that I take no pats on the back for. She pretty much came that way. Laurie keeps the family in line and I'm grateful for that.
Here is my reason for finally posting her graduation - I finished her graduation/dorm quilt. Obviously Laurie's name was the inspiration for the quilt.
The Ls are backwards and forwards and sideways, sorta. The border is kind of Nintendo inspired. See, I can do modern! Modern was the biggest stipulation when Laurie told me what she wanted in a dorm quilt.
She wanted modern boxy quilting, too. And she likes purple. She could probably be my complete and total opposite in textiles. And sometimes in personality. I certainly didn't earn a full freshman year tuition scholarship from the University of Utah School of Business when I was in college. (sorry for the bragging) She starts school in 2 weeks! Yipes.
I just get such a kick out of these photos with heels that I had to post another one. It makes me laugh. And see her beautiful hair? She didn't get that thick chestnut hair from my side of the family. But her hair is naturally curly like mine. Can you believe she straightens it? Crazy. I'm really going to miss Laurie, even though she's only going to be 45 min. away.

L is for Laurie.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

29 comments

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yes you can do modern! I think it is so appropriate for the L lady. Yes a young lady now - how scarey right? Felt the same when my daughter got to that level - now a mom of two. Double Yikes!!

Darlene said...

Everytime you talk about Laurie I think of her as being truly authentic. She is who she is and is comfortable in her own skin - high fives to her!

Congratulations to her for earning the scholarship. Nanette you brag about her all you want. :-)

It was fun to see her in heels - LOL

Dotty Dolly said...

I have followed your blog for some time now, but decided to finally make a comment. It is lovely to have daughters who we are proud of, although unlike you I only have the one! I always feel very inspired when I read your blog - keep up the good work!

Brandie said...

Great quilt! Lucky girl. You sound like a proud Mama. Don't they grow up too fast?

AnnieO said...

What a lovely girl, of course you have all the reasons in the world to be a proud mama! Her dorm quilt will be treasured and well loved, I can tell. Clever and fun take on a name quilt!

Heather A said...

Brilliant quilt! Brilliant daughter!

I have an L son (Luke) who is now in his 4th year at university. I wish I'd thought of a quilt like this for him. It's never too late.

The L makes such a cool, modern graphic.

jen duncan said...

Perfect. I admire you for sticking to what she wanted rather than doing what you;re more comfortable with, you know? She's a darling girl and you have raised a wonderful family by all accounts. No small feat these days! You should be very proud. :-)
xo, jen

circle r motel said...

You are doing so awesome on finishing your quilts this year. I'm so proud of you!! Don't ever apologize about bragging on your kids. They are an extension of you. And you are wonderful. Hugs, Pam

Jenny Lynn said...

Your brag all you want. The quilt is amazing. Love that you were inspired by her name.

Kim Walus said...

Congratulations to Laurie!! Because of her hard work and commitment to her education she is now going to reap the benefits. It's so fun to see our children work hard and succeed. I'm so happy for all of you! I love the quilt and the heels! They are perfect! See you on Saturday too! Are you staying for the other activitites? If so, do you want to carpool?

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Love the quilt! What a lucky daughter to have a mom like you.. every kid should have a proud parent behind them! :) Sounds like she has a bright future.

Messy Karen said...

you are such a cool Mommy!!

Christine M said...

Congratulations to Laurie. And congratulations to you on the lovely quilt you have made for her. You've done a great job.

tea with hazel said...

clever daughter and clever mum..love the quilt..jane

Funky Kim said...

Go Utes! Congrats to your daughter!

Sherri said...

Congrats to your daughter...love her quilt too!

Sue said...

You have every right to be proud of Laurie. It's great to see our babies grow up. The quilt is lovely and she'll always have it to feel Mum's love.

PamKittyMorning said...

Congrats to your super cute girl!!! xo

Corrie said...

Looks like they're both ready for college. Well done, very nice. Congrats to Laurie!

Thimbleanna said...

Bragging allowed and welcome!!! Congratulations to Laurie -- I hope she has a wonderful year at school. I'm thinking the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree though -- she's got a super mom behind her.

Love the quilt Nanette -- it's perfect for a modern loving girl!

Lori Holt said...

Laurie deserves to be bragged about...and so does the quilt.
I just love it!..it turned out fantastic. I love the modern too you know:)
xx
Lori
PS...L is for lori too:)haha

CreationsForEleanor said...

What great pictures, you all certainly have every right to be proud of her! The quilt is fabulous

Sinta Renee said...

Congratulations to your beautiful daughter! I love the quilt you made for her... it's very fun! I love it that you share your excitement with us!
... I love your Cherry Cheesecake from the last post. I have that patern ordered now:)

Cheryl said...

A big congratulations to your beautiful girl...and a scholarship too...wow!!!! Love the photos of her and her graduation quilt is a beauty. You have every right to be a very proud mama!!!

Deb said...

LOVE your L quilt!!!!! What a fun, fun quilt and idea~~ Might I (permanently) 'borrow' the idea? I think a 'V' quilt for Victoria would be a hoot!!!

strawberrycream39 said...

Congrats to Laurie (and mama too!)! She sounds like a wonderful daughter and person too. The quilt is amazing, and even though it's modern it still has that Nanette je-ne-sais-quois. :-) Beautiful!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful quilt, I'm sure she loved it and congrats to her on the scholarship!

pratima said...

Awww... Hearty congratulations!!!
Your 'L' quilt for Laurie is so beautiful and very modern in the choice of fabrics and pattern. Laurie's pictures are so cute :)

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Beautiful post about Laurie, her quilt and graduation. Congrats to her and best wishes for a wonderful college experience!!