Fabric Friday Faux Union Jack

11 comments
Last month I finished my family history flag quilt and the flags were really very simple. The trickiest flag was the Union Jack. And it wasn't hard to make but while I was reading the directions and looking at the diagrams in that particular pattern I kept thinking "there is an easier way to do this". And I've been thinking about that.....

I came across PamKittyMorning's post about her asterisk block here. And she referenced a tutorial found here from Selvage Blog. So I printed off the instructions to make the asterisk block and by changing the dimensions and using some of my red and white striped fabric the asterisk became.......this very simple fussy cut Union Jack in mini flag block.
I fussy cut a red and white striped fabric. This allowed me to eliminate the step from my original Union Jack block of stitching a white fabric next to a red fabric. The instructions said to cut block 6X6". But to make it flag sized I cut the blue fabric 6x9". The intersecting stripe I cut slightly larger than the instructions in the asterisk block stated.
Looking at my red and white striped fabric that I had on hand, I realized that fussing cutting any red and white striped fabric would work to faux the white strip next to the red. (I hope this makes sense.)
I followed the simple instructions from the tutorial for making the block by cutting and then sewing as it went along. I want to make lots more of these little Union Jacks. Sometimes my stash comes in handy when I can just get an idea, go to my shelves, and make something as inspiration hits. Go red and white fabric!

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

11 comments

Unknown said...

so sweet - I love how the white stripe shows up. You are a clever sausage, Ms Nanette!!!!

Nedra said...

Lily Quilts also has a great tutorial for a LARGE Union Jack made from fat quarters. It's called Fat Jack, and on my to-do list.

Canadian Kristin said...

Brilliant! I love your family flag quilt so very much!!! You actually inspired me to my a whirlygig quilt in all blue/white which sort of looks like the Finish flag... shhhh, I'm giving it to my Father-in-law for Christmas, he's from Finland! :-)

Sentimentally Me said...

Nanette, that is beautiful! Your fabric choices make it so lovely!

PamKittyMorning said...

Super cute and clever.

amy smart said...

You are brilliant!

Sherri said...

Love it...what a time saver! Now, if I only had a stash like yours...lol!

pratima said...

This is awesome! Wonderful colors and beautiful contrast in color and print.

novanka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
novanka said...

I love your quilt, it´s beautiful, such a great idea. I am from Slovakia and have never seen our flag to be used in such a way. Are you or were your family in the past connected to Slovakia?

PamKittyMorning said...

I just tried one of these using my stripe. I remembered this post and finally got around to trying it. Mine block looks funky. What is it with me and makeing this style of block.