Dear Jane, Finished Quilt and Blog Awards

24 comments
I was going to quit the Dear Baby Jane project. I've been waffling back and forth about what to do since I've gotten behind. I seem to have totally lost the Dear Jane mojo. I even had a post started to put an end to my Dear Jane quest after my disaster of block K-12. I made the block twice and had my block template turned the wrong way TWICE and cut the finishing edges of the block off. I thought it was a "sign" - STOP NANETTE, JUST STOP! I'm not a precise sewer and Dear Jane has been a huge challenge for me. Most of the time when I finish my blocks I have to squint to be able to stand the finished product.

Then today Anina posted J-4. It looked so easy that I couldn't help but come home from work and sew it up. Yeah I still made a couple boo boos - even with this super simple block.
On the left is K-12 (the one I cut wrong) and on the right is the simple J-4. On J-4 the X is supposed to look like 1 piece of fabric even though that's not how I cut the fabric. You can tell where I didn't line up my print in the one line of the X. Oh well.

On K-12 like I said, I turned my ruler wrong when I cut the finished edges to size. Making the block sit wrong. Look at mine (on the left above) and then . . .

Look at Anina's (I swiped this picture from the Dear Baby Jane blog, sorry Anina). I am NOT making this my K-12 again. Its wrong and I'm sticking with it. This quilt is a journey of sorts to learning new skills. And my mistakes are there. If I were a perfectionist I wouldn't make this quilt because I couldn't do it perfectly. So my blocks stand.
I won't quit Dear Jane completely. Not yet anyway. I decided for now I'll make the easiest blocks and not worry that my finished product will be small and will have many blocks left out. My quilt will never be a museum piece but I do hope to finish it in some way.
Over the weekend I bound my latest little quilt made from Japanese fabric. I couldn't wait to wash it. I had Wendy quilt it with cherries and flowers. She has a quilting machine that she programs designs into for end to end quilting. It's quite affordable for quilts that don't need specialized quilting and her turn around time is mostly 1 week.

After all the hand applique and binding I've done lately my "quilter's arm" shoulder and elbow pain flared up. I'm trying to rest it right now but that's hard to do. I have projects stacked up! Ibuprofen and rest is what it takes to improve the pain so I'll try to do that.

Our blog has received some really sweet blog awards lately. Erin, Kim and Eileen are some of the nicest people and bloggers and it was so good of them to mention our blog and say really nice things about it. Each of those girls have terrific blogs and have so much talent in addition to being great people. Thank you so much girls. I'm terrible at picking other blogs to give awards to. I have so many great blog friends and I appreciate all of them.

-nanette

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

24 comments

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh Nanette....I have looked soooo many times at the Dear Jane quilts and contemplated about doing one. Last year at the retreat I went to there were 2 ladies each working on one. One lady was just about finished with hers and I was in awe at these quilts!! I had never seen anything like these, after all, I was there just to get back into the groove of sewing and had never done a quilt...( at the time I didn't remember about the 25 yr. old one I had in the metal trash can out in my garage ). As slow as I seem to be I might not ever finish it. I'm with you though...I don't see anything wrong with doing a smaller version.

Cathi said...

Lots of people have done smaller versions of the Jane Stickle quilt. I got fed up with the blocks and threw all the ones I had made out as I knew I wouldn't do anything with them! I just couldn't connect with that quilt at all -- yet it is such a huge accomplishment.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love your Japanese fabric quilt. One you definitely want to snuggle under. As for Dear Jane...I guess only you know your mistakes because I certainly don't see them. I can't have another favorite blogger lose their mojo...first Terri and now you!!!

Thimbleanna said...

I think your blocks look great Nanette! Plus, it will be more fun if your version isn't exactly like the original. Maybe you could make your own simpler blocks to fill in for the harder ones if you want your quilt to be the same size as the original. You little japanese fabric quilt is so cute!

jlk said...

I have quilters shoulder, too. My massage therapist told me to use biofreeze and a heat pack, that you can easily make with rice. Anyway, it helps me.

I think your Dear Jane blocks are great. It all seems a little precise for me.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I am SO imprecise in all my sewing that I can't begin to imagine what flaws you can see in yours. :) Everything you do looks grand to me!
~Elaine~

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I am SO imprecise in all my sewing that I can't begin to imagine what flaws you can see in yours. :) Everything you do looks grand to me!
~Elaine~

CJ said...

Good for you for sticking with it. I would not even have taken it on in the first place. You have probably learned alot from that quilt though. I went to Wendy's site...OH.MY. The choices of the quilt patterns. I am not sure I could get a quilt to her without it being wrinkled and a total mess. What a nice service to have nearby.

quiltingnana said...

Don't worry if your blocks aren't exact...that's what makes them yours...just enjoy the results. You should be proud of your accomplishmenst

em's scrapbag said...

Quilting is suppose to be fun, and mistakes add character to your quilts. Your Dear Jane will be beautiful and no one will even notice your mistakes or that you left some blocks out. Happy Quilting, Em

Robin said...

Good for you, Nanette! And I think your blocks look lovely. I especially like K-12. That blue is wonderful and I like the look of it turned around. No matter what size your quilt ends up, it will be gorgeous. :)

And, oh my gosh, that little Japanese quilt is just begging to be snuggled under!

sewtakeahike said...

I think they are lovely with all their imperfections! I applaud you for even taking the dear jane on! Congratulations on your awards!

Anina said...

PLEASE don't quit on Baby Jane! Better finished than perfect!
I love your K-12. Very original.

Betsy said...

Nanette, don't feel bad. It has been a year since I worked on dear jane. I made all the easy blocks first about 23 of them and then totally stopped because I had no idea on how to do the rest. I wish they would have come with instructions on how to piece them.
Well I was going to make a wall hanging just of the 23 blocks and call it quits when Toni from the quilting pirate suggested that I paper piece some of the blocks. Well when I fist started DJ I did not know anything about paper piecing. Now that I know a bit of paper piecing I am going to give it a try. Like you, piecing to perfection is not in my gene pool.

Ginger Patches said...

I think your block is fine the way it is! It will just be that much more your own :) I love the Japanese fabric quilt, I have yet to actually do anything with any of mine--I buy small pieces too and then I don't want to cut them! But you're inspiring my to just do it!!!

Material Girls said...

Nanette,
It was a pleasure to meet you and some of your girls! You are darling, and I hope to see you again soon! Thanks so much for posting about the shop.
Good luck on Dear Jane- I must say I have thought about that many times but not yet.
Nadine
the material girls quilts

Karen said...

I know what you mean about the DJQ. A daunting task to be sure. Your Japanese Fab
quilt is so fun...Can I get your quilter's info. I like mine, but she takes months, sometimes. Thanks;)

Unknown said...

Nanette, your latest project with the Japanese fabrics is wonderful!!!! I am so impressed with all the beautiful work you do! Thank you so much for sharing and inspiring!

Lily Boot said...

Oh Nanette - I so hear you about the Dear Jane blocks - I started the Civil war blocks and after finishing the easy ones, quickly became more and more flustered by the tinsy winsy pieces and unusual block constructions - they're all bundled into the drawer - maybe one day they'll see the light again. Meanwhile, I love using the reproduction fabrics in other projects ;-) BUT! This bright and beautiful sweetie is gorgeous! You have a wonderful knack with colour and fabric choice and I'm so glad you're you and not a devoted Jane. :-)

Celia said...

Oh, I love the Mathryoshka's dolls little pieces! And the stitches in there!!! I can't quilt and the beauty if a nice stitch over the quilt amazes me!
lol...
Lovely!

Nedra said...

I admire your dedication in making any of the dear jane blocks. I'm just a wanna-be. I'm guessing there are no D. J. Natzi police that say every block has to be made and included. Is it possible to skip the one's that just don't work out?

Anna M. said...

I like that you didn't change it...it's those little differences that make your quilt special from all of the others. I've been thinking about doing a Dear Jane, and I think your post convinced me to start...I like how you said it's a journey to learn new skills. Thanks for the positive encouragement! =)

Nan said...

After reading your "adventures" with the Dear Jane quilt, I know I wouldn't survive it. If there is a wrong way to do something, I invariably find it! The blocks you've created (right or wrong) look wonderful!
I love the Japanese fabric quilt - it's adorable!!
Take care of your injury, so you can get back to the things you love to do!

jen duncan said...

Such sweet work Nanette! Your art is always so inspiring for me. I was 8 posts behind when I came here tonight...just want to say all your work (and you daughters'!) is awesome as usual. thanks for sharing with us!